In our daily life, we face so many words and it makes troubles if the meaning of those words is unknown to us. So to get out of the trouble we look for a dictionary help. Now it is easy we get word meaning because lots of dictionary for different language is available.
Apple has introduced an inbuilt dictionary for iPhone and iPad.It does not appear like other apps but you can access it whenever you require it like Browsing apps(safari), while text editing. You can easily customize, remove and add words to the iPhone dictionary.
How to add an iPhone dictionary?
- Firstly go to settings
- Then go to general
- After that tap on dictionary
- Next select the dictionary you want to add.
- you will observe a check mark on the left of the selected dictionary.
- Then tap on the back button
How to Remove an iPhone dictionary?
- You can Go to the settings
- Then go to general
- Afterwards tap on dictionary
- Next select the dictionary you want to remove.
- Here after you will observe a check mark on the left of the selected dictionary is removed.
- Next tap on the back button
How to find a word definition?
It is easy to know the meaning of any word by using iPhone inbuilt dictionary. There is an inbuilt define function which let you know the meaning and definition of selected word or phrase.
- At first, Tap and hold on the word to select the word.
- From the popup menu select define/lookup
- Click on done to exit from the dictionary.
How to add words to iPhone dictionary?
Of Course it is easy to add the word and the shortcut in the iPhone dictionary. You can add so many words together at a time.
- Firstly Open settings
- Then go to keyboard settings
- select your keyboard
- Next go to the bottom section and select “Add new shortcut”
- Type the word you want to add in the dictionary in the phrase and shortcut.
- done now you will not be disturbed by auto-correct anymore.
How to add words from different language
- Select the word
- Tap on define
- Then select manage
- Next tap the cloud button for which language dictionary you want to add words. Download it.
- Finally done.
How to add shortcuts of a word into the iPhone dictionary?
- First up all Open the settings
- Next go to keyboard settings
- After that select your keyboard
- Go to the bottom section and select “Add new shortcut”
- Type the word you want to add in the phrase field and leave the corresponding shortcut into the shortcut field.
- done .now you will be able to replace the short cut word with the original phrase.
What is the Lookup feature on the iPhone?
In IOS, 10 iPhone renamed the Define feature in Lookup. And with lookup, you will be able to get more information about a word or phrase instead of only the definition or meaning. Lookup provides information from App Store, Wikipedia, apple music, movies, websites.
- Firstly tap and hold on the word to select the word.
- From the popup menu select lookup
- Click on continue.
You will be able to read results from the different sources. The meaning of the built-in dictionary will be shown at the top of the display.