In the first quarter of 2020, the pandemic that threatened mankind across the world is the CoronaViruses that cause COVID-19 or Coronavirus Disease 2019. It has challenged the global superpowers in the field of medicine, healthcare, and the economy. All media of communication is trying best to reach necessary information to citizens of every country for precaution, care and cooperation with the government in keeping it under control. Aggregating all authentic information here we present a detailed study for you to beware and keep safe in these 21 days of the city locked down across India.
Immune-compromised people who are under steroid containing drugs or older adults, can be worst affected by this virus. 90% of the affected cases are symptomless in the initial incubation period hence it becomes difficult to detect the virus. Late complications are breathlessness, mild to moderate grade fever, body ache, and dry cough.
Quarantine or Incubation Period – 14th Days Isolation
In respect to understand why is the Coronavirus contagious, you also need to understand the necessity and meaning of quarantine. The word Quarantine means being in isolation from other human or social contact and that is the only way to control COVID-19. With the isolation of 14 days, you can break the chain of contamination of the Coronavirus or the incubation period of the virus in a specific person. The saliva droplet or discharge coming out from the nose or mouth through sneezing or coughing of the infected patient can borne Coronavirus by air or surface which may get transmitted to another person.
What are the major signs & symptoms of the Coronavirus
Three major symptoms of the Corona virus are:-
- Sneeze and cough
- Shortness of breath or serious breathing trouble.
In some cases, it may cause the death of the patient by kidney failure or extreme respiratory trouble. Now how do you know if you have Coronavirus or normal fever? In case you have symptoms or any travel history of yourself or an acquaintance from the COVID-19 hit lands then rather than going out of home call a Doctor, share your symptoms and follow his/her guidelines.
To know what is the symptom of Corona virus in detail you have to explore what the WHO and US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention says. The list of acute symptoms is very less and may appear during the incubation of 14 days on any time.
They say that the Corona sign includes:-
- Mild fever minimum of 100° Fahrenheit or 37° Celsius. Avoid considering early morning temperature, it is better taking the temperature in the afternoon or early evening time. Generally, the virus produced fever goes up during these two times of day
- Low respiratory tract symptoms like shortness of breath well manifest that you are affected by COVID-19. Feeling a tightness in the chest during breathing or feel like you are not getting enough good breath must be reported immediately. Persistent pressure-like pain in the chest must call for urgent medical notification.
- Dry cough, special mention, not just any cough is a symptom. A dry cough that pains the chest is part of the symptom.
- Flu symptoms are like fatigue, headaches, digestive disorders, body pain, running nose, sneezing sore of throat and dizziness.
Some Facts about Coronavirus Contagious Factors That You Must Know
To stop this virus spreading in community and not to adopt any misconception which may lead to trouble for yourself and your surrounding you need to know some facts. Social distancing is the most important precaution for ceasing the Corona virus contagious factor.
Let’s know some facts about coronavirus that may help you keep yourself, your family and surroundings well and safe:-
- If you have any symptoms of flu-like sneezing, coughing then do visit a physical practitioner and follow his instructions. Apart from authentic medical treatment nothing can cure you as per WHO.
- While coughing or sneezing close your mouth with a tissue and dispose of it as Coronavirus is contagious and has high transmission power.
- Older adults and patients will serious illness are prone to it due to lesser immunity.
- Always wash your hands with soap or alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid public gatherings.
- Masks are advisable to use by patients with breathing troubles or medical staff who are taking care of them.
- Each individual doesn’t need to use a mask as this may cause a crisis in availability for those who need it.
- Don’t be panicked. Do not come close or keep 1m distance from those who are in respiratory trouble, sneezing or coughing.
- Don’t touch your face, eyes or nose unnecessarily as this can also lead to transmission.
How Do You Know If You Have Corona virus
In case you have above-stated symptoms don’t delay and immediately take the help of a medical practitioner. Call the helpline numbers. Always remember that it is contagious hence cover your mouth and nose with N95 mask. Consult the doctor over the phone and then visit. Now how do you know if you have Coronavirus unless it is diagnosed by a doctor? Hence it is better to go to the Coronavirus dedicated hospitals where you can be instantly tested.
Remember that the answer is always a big YES for the question, is the Coronavirus contagious which is a global alarming case. But in the initial stage if you have mild symptoms then take rest and keep yourself in isolation. This may reduce the risk but the same process is not advisable for people over 60s as they have compromised immune power.
Also, the WHO request that in case you don’t have any symptoms don’t request a test. As the world medical system is going short of resources in handling this pandemic hence a case without symptom cannot be considered.
What is Coronavirus Pathophysiology
Coronavirus has two subtypes; the first one is the common type which causes normal flu. It has got an affinity for the Sialoprotein receptor mainly present in our respiratory tract. So it manifest as cough, cold and running nose. The second type, i.e., Novel Coronavirus that is causing COVID 19 is the second emergence of SARS which first appeared in 2012. This Coronavirus pathophysiology states that it binds with ACEII receptor [Angiotensin Converting Enzyme II]. This particular receptor is present in the epithelial cell of our body which is present all over our body. By binding with the receptors it shows multi-system manifestation like kidney failure, heart failure, and respiratory failure. If remains untreated for a longer time it may be fatal.
The truth about Coronavirus evolution is suspected to be created under laboratory preparation by China. Even if it is proved to be wrong still the entire nation is considering this epidemic to be a threat to mankind for the negligence of China. The only medication to this disease is isolation or quarantine which can break the chain of the virus.
According to WHO what is the source of Coronavirus
Want to know how is Coronavirus spread and took the contour of Pandemic? This virus has arrived from an animal but now has taken a fatal facet as Pandemic. It is spreading from person to person in higher capacity. Rather than a fatality, its transmission factor is very high.
COVID 19 was first identified in Wuhan city of China during late 2019. Gradually it spread all over the world. WHO is still researching the source of Coronavirus but according to a hypothesis it arrived from the seafood market of Wuhan City. As it was reported that those who visited that seafood market during early Dec 19s got viral pneumonia with fever and respiratory trouble caused by this newly muted Coronavirus. But on 25th Jan a journal revealed that the first patient of COVID 19 was diagnosed on 1st Dec 2019 who had no connection with the seafood market.
What is the process of Coronavirus treatment?
No specific Coronavirus treatment is yet discovered. With proper care and supportive treatment, many patients are recovered from this disease. There is no antiviral treatment to this newly evolved Novel Coronavirus. Doctors are doing their best possible supportive treatment according to symptoms. Many patients have well recovered. But in a country like America, Italy it is spreading vastly through the community where the strongest medical system is also failing to provide proper care to all affected patients.
Also, the human Coronavirus can be controlled in the affected patient by Interferon therapy where the non-infected cells can be protected from further infection or injury. Hydroxychloroquine can be used as a prophylactic drug for those who are in close contact with the patient affected by Coronavirus
Now it has become a global question that is the Coronavirus curable or is there any vaccine that pre-protects the ailment. Scientists and doctors are working hard to find out a solution but no result has arrived. It is still threatening the human race.
Is the Coronavirus Curable?
The world community is going around this question that is the Coronavirus curable, if yes then how? Coronavirus is curable by supportive treatment as said earlier also. But to date, no specific treatment or vaccines is approved by the FDA to treat or protect from this virus. But some trial testing drugs that may resolve the issue is under observation:-
Anti-Ebola drug –
This drug that had proved applicable to Ebola is applied and will take another week to prove its effectiveness.
Kaletra combined with chloroquine –
Kaletra is an anti-HIV drug which when combined with chloroquine, an anti-malaria drug, has supposedly recovered some first-line patients in Australia.
Formation of Monoclonal antibodies that can boost the immune system
Some researchers are trying monoclonal antibodies as a trial for the preventive treatment of Coronavirus. Monoclonal antibodies are a protein that boosts and implies the body’s natural immune system to neutralize the function of the Coronavirus. It may be used as a prophylactic antibody. On the high-risk population of patients, medical workers, family members of the patient this may be implied which may protect them from being infected.
How Many Are Infected With Coronavirus
As per the latest update of 25th March 2020 how many are infected with Coronavirus is answered by WHO as 375498 confirmed cases across the globe. Out of that 16362 are confirmed death cases. And the numbers of recovered patients are 100,430. In India also the death rate and virus affected people rate is increasing. India has gone down to city lock to control the spread of this disease in the community. The government and citizens are highly cooperating by maintaining social distance.
Snapshot about Corona Family, It’s Look, Classifications & Nomenclature
Coronavirus is a positive-strand RNA virus. Wondering how does it look like or what caused the Coronavirus and how is its nomenclature? The rubber ball like a childhood game is a hypothetical shape that can better be explained in terms of electron microscopic graph. The crown-like peplomer spikes which appear like solar corona is the identified feature. The name Corona is evolved from this morphology of Crown like shape. It is an enveloped shape with a petal or club-shape.
The Corona Family has two subfamilies:-
This has four genera; Alphacoronavirus, Betacoronavirus, Gammacoronavirus & Deltacoronavirus. Apart from Gammacoronavirus, all affect human beings. Only Gama type affects birds.
This is another genus that is not related to the Coronavirus cause or symptoms.
Human Coronavirus & its types
Generally, the etiology of the last two coronaviruses is the infection in human which can be caused mainly by six types of human Coronavirus which are as followings:-
- Human Coronavirus 229E – It is Alphacoronavirus.
- Human Coronavirus NL63 (New Haven Coronavirus) – It is also Alphacoronavirus.
- Human Coronavirus OC43 – It is Betacoronavirus.
- Human Coronavirus HKU1 – Part of
- SARS- COV (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus) – This is also Betacoronavirus and the one which is affecting the human race presently. It is the first coronavirus that is causing such serious ailment.
- MERS-COV (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus) – Under Betacoronavirus type.
How bad is the Coronavirus
SARS & MARS virus both can attack human beings severely and get transferred from one person to another. It attacks the respiratory tract of human beings and also may cause multi-organ dysfunction especially kidney, heart and lot more. Pneumonia or diarrhea is also some symptoms of the Coronavirus affected person.
Answering the question of how bad is the Coronavirus the WHO or World Health Organization says that it can be transferred from one person to another by droplet or by touching. It can live in the air up to 3 hours. And on the surface of cardboard, it can live up to 24 hours, on plastic and stainless steel it lives up to three days. It has a lower mortality rate but a higher morbidity. This means that it is highly communicable. This virus can stay on the surface and be transferred through eyes, nose, and mouth or coming in close contact with the affected person.
What the World Health Organization says on Coronavirus
World Health Organization on Coronavirus has taken some strategic preparedness to rescue the world from this epidemic. Personal protective equipment shipped to 68 countries by WHO. These are to help doctors, nurses, medical staffs and infected human beings to keep themselves protected by refraining from physical touch or coming in close contact with each other. Those include:-
- Surgical Mask – 701480.
- N95 Mask – 51895
- Gloves – 727600
- Googles – 13670
- Face Shields – 20830
Helped to enhance laboratory capacity of 120 countries out 196 total affected countries by supplying:-
- 5 million Coronavirus diagnostic kit to strengthen the capacity of clinical management which can do the test at a higher speed and with specifications.
- Other types of equipment required for treatment is also provided by the WHO.
WHO provided 40 no of technical documents for information to Public for increasing awareness which includes special precautions for a different level of organization in the society:-
- Steps on How to Protect Yourself.
- Myth Busters.
- School children & teacher health maintenance guidance.
- Workplace guidelines.
- Health workers and medical staff’s guidance.
It also curates 6 online courses on #COVID19. This can cater to multilingual people across the globe. Access the Open WHO platform to get training on Coronavirus which has 323000 enrollment scopes. It also has 1 simulation exercise for reaching 176000 responders.
Technical guidance on Coronavirus
The Technical guidance on Coronavirus provided by WHO is based on the following highlights:-
- Public health protection and capacity across countries and borders.
- Enough blood supply during the outbreak of the pandemic.
- Using WHO generic risk assessment and the checklist of mitigation for gatherings of mass in the outbreak of COVID 19.
- How to make critical readiness, response, action, and preparedness during COVID 19.
- How to stop Coronavirus transmission in mass or community.
- Guideline on using a mask, hand gloves, goggles, and face shields for home care, community care or health care.
- Preventing infection.
- Mental and psychological health during the outbreak of COVID 19.
- Seroepidemiological investigation protocol of age-stratified population-based protocol.
- Guidelines on home care for patients with mild corona fever symptoms and also tips on quarantine.
- Plan of Action for Risk Communication & Community Engagement (RCCE).
- Investigation of cases in the clustering of COVID 19.
- Clinical management system to manage SARS infection by Novel Coronavirus.
- The package on disease commodity of nCOV or Novel Coronavirus.
- Healthcare facilities.
- Guidelines to ship specimens to laboratories referred by WHO.
WHO is still researching on where Coronavirus came from or the origin of this Novel Coronavirus. And it is also trying hard to find out a vaccine or specific treatment of this virus. Now recovering the world from this threatening pandemic is the major call of this organization.
Some Dos and Don’ts to keep in mind according to medical experts:-
- In case you are under any medication you shouldn’t discontinue it without doctor’s advice even if you have symptoms or are declared as affected by the virus.
- In the tenure of social distancing try not to visit any hospital or doctor’s chamber unless it is an emergency.
- Also before going to the doctor’s chamber consult him/her over the phone and if required then only visit.
- In case you have symptoms or any other ailment visit the doctor’s chamber with proper protection of mask, hand gloves, goggles, etc.
- Maintain 1 to 3m distance from other people.
- Strictly follow the rules of lockdown. Maintain social distance. Don’t be out of home or roam around the market place or don’t make any gathering.
Now the only way to save yourself and the country is by adhering to the rules of lockdown and maintain an absolute quarantine or isolation. Stay at home and serve the nation!!