Pocket watches were made or men in the very early time. But many people still like to use these pocket watches. Because these do not have many difficulties like in today’s watch. However, pocket watches are the best watches for someone to collect. But what if you want to use this watch? How to wind a pocket watch.
There is no point in guessing the winding mechanism. It is because you might end up destroying the watch.
So here is the complete guide for you about this watch and how you can use this properly. If you were looking for similar answers then you’re at the right place.
Table of Contents
How Often You Should Wind The Pocket Watch?
Winding the watch is important that should have done with your watch. If you will do this too often then there is a chance that you will damage the spring system of your watch. And if you will not do this at all then you will not get to see the correct time.
Your watch will show huge time differences. So with the mechanical pocket watch the maximum number of wind is one per day. You can do this daily but not more than once.
Steps To Fully Wound The Pocket Watches
Here are the steps that you have to follow to wind the watch fully. Make sure yo not skip any step in the process and try to do these with care. Because pocket watches are more sensitive than today’s generation watches.
- To wound your watch you have to do this from the back of the watch.
- Then, You can open the back part of the watch carefully.
- Now, pull the crown out of it. You will see this as soon as you will open the watch front the back.
- Now turn it clockwise 40 times. The time of turning depends from watch to watch. So it is advised to rotate until you start feeling the resistance.
- Do not go beyond the resistance.
- After this, if your watch is not set at the correct time then set it at the correct time. And you will be good to go with your watch.
The process is very simple and easy. But you have to do this with precautions. Because the chances of this watch getting damaged are always high.
Precautions To Take While Winding The Pocket Watch
There are a few precautions that you need to take while doing this process. These precautions will ensure that you do not end up destroying the watch.
So you have to follow all these if you want to keep your watch safe and working for a long time.
- Before opening the back lid of the watch make sure that you clean it with the help of a soft cloth. This will ensure that no dust particles will enter the inner side of the acth.
- The dust and other particles can damage the spring system of the watch.
- Some clock moves anticlockwise. So always check before rotating the crown.
- Do not rotate the crown after you feel resistance. This will damage the system badly.
- If the watch is making weird sounds while rotating then take it to a watch repair shop. Because there is a high chance that something is wrong with the spring system of the watch.
In conclusion, here is how to wind a pocket watch. These watches do not come with manuals. So people use their different theories to wind the watch. They mostly end up doing wrong and hence damage the watch. Here is the complete guide for you to do this. The process is very easy.
But you have to do this with precautions. All the possible precautions that you have to take are mentioned here. Do not miss any single thing while doing this process. And always be aware of your rotations. You can also count the rotations for your watch. This will help you in doing the next day’s winding.